Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Start Small

Since there are direct connections with the DDLS principles and PBL, I wanted to find a specific example of PBL implemented in an elementary school.  Our traditional methods of teaching are not conducive to PBL and the implementation means change in the way we think about teaching and the way we teach.  That kind of cognitive shift takes time and effort.  Examples and research are needed to bring up the craftsmanship state of mind and confidence for teachers to become change agents.  

I found an article in Edutopia of a first grade teacher who shares her example of PBL in her classroom.  Her main point is to start small.  First, she recognizes the importance of building 21st century skills in her students to get them ready for success in life.  Then she starts by taking something that she already does and finds elements to incorporate PBL.  Her example takes the review of the alphabet that coincides with animals and in that, she identifies a driving question.  Letter F was the Yellow Legged Frog. Her students found out that this local frog has become a "species of concern" and wanted to help save this little creature.  So, their first project for the year was: How can we help save the Yellow Legged Frog?  Her is the link to read the rest of the article.  https://www.edutopia.org/discussion/example-pbl-early-elementary-how-i-started

As my district is driving full force to implement PBL in K-12, I think a good piece of advice is start small.

1 comment:

  1. That was a very neat project. I checked the webpage and the videos she posted, and it is a great example of a PBL activity.
    I agree that small steps are the way to go, I love the way she concludes by saying that PBL is the vehicle by which she can teach both the Common Core Standards and the 21st century competencies her first graders need. Another important aspect she mentions is to start looking for projects we have already done through a PBL lens, for me, this takes the overwhelming feeling away and helps me brainstorm ideas because I don't have to start from scratch.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

PBL approach

As I mentioned in the previous blog, my district is implementing PBL in all K-12 classrooms.  This involves a lot of training, support, ex...