Sunday, July 15, 2018

My insight on the DDLS Principles

DDLS Principles is a term that is used for my graduate program at George Mason University.  The programs is called Designing Digital Learning in Schools.  This concentration focuses on digital learning - instructional practice that effectively uses technology to strengthen a PreK-12 learners’ 21st century learning experience. It is designed for the practicing teacher interested in ways to support teaching and learning with technology.

The DDLS Principles are:
1)    Teachers as Designers
2)    The Ends Principle
3)    The Knowledge Principle
4)    The Learning Principle
5)    The Means Principle
6)    Students as Designers

As I go through this program, I am connecting the six DDLS Principles with the PBL initiative that my district is implementing.  LCPS has partnered with the Buck Institute for the district implementation of PBL.  This information is pulled directly from their website BIE.org.
What is PBL?
Students work on a project over an extended period of time – from a week up to a semester – that engages them in solving a real-world problem or answering a complex question. They demonstrate their knowledge and skills by developing a public product or presentation for a real audience.
As a result, students develop deep content knowledge as well as critical thinking, creativity, and communication skills in the context of doing an authentic, meaningful project. Project Based Learning unleashes a contagious, creative energy among students and teachers.
BIE continues with the Gold Standard for Designing Effective Projects. 
The Essential Project Design Elements are:
1)    Challenging Problem or Question
2)    Sustained Inquiry
3)    Authenticity
4)    Voice and Choice
5)    Reflection
6)    Critique and Revision
7)    Public Product

I see direct connections between the DDLS design principles and PBL.  When I am designing for DDLS, I am designing for PBL and vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBL approach

As I mentioned in the previous blog, my district is implementing PBL in all K-12 classrooms.  This involves a lot of training, support, ex...