Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Who am I?


Welcome to Schooled!  For the purpose of this blog, I am an educator, a student, and a parent.  I carry many other titles but these 3 roles will help me pick through the DDLS principles and figure out if technology overuse is making our kids dumber.  As an educator, I can pull experiences from my practice as examples of screen use in school to evaluate and synthesize an opinion.  As a student, the 6 Principles of my graduate program can be used as a framework to make a determination.  They are Teachers as Designers, The Ends Principle, The Knowledge Principle, The Learning Principle, The Means Principle, and Students as Designers. And finally, my role as a parent, gives me the most authentic reason to figure this all out.  I have a lot at stake, the well being of my 2 sons.

In the next few weeks, I will read Screen Schooled by Joe Clement and Matt Miles.  They are two veteran teachers who expose how technology overuse is making our kids dumber.  I am interested to see what they say.  At this point, before reading the book, I am skeptical and take a stance that technology in school is beneficial.  I see it first hand everyday at my school.  This might sound like a cliche but the students at my school are developing the 5 C's to be 21st Century Learners.  They are creating, critical thinking, collaborating, communicating, and building community.  Let's see if I change my mind after I read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBL approach

As I mentioned in the previous blog, my district is implementing PBL in all K-12 classrooms.  This involves a lot of training, support, ex...